If you like your cakes to make a statement, Rainbow Cake just might be the dessert for you. Taking the general awesomeness of cake and adding in a whole lot of showbiz technicolor, this isn’t a cake that shy’s away from the spotlight. It’s also the perfect way to make a birthday or party cake extra special. If your think Rainbow Cake looks amazing but also like a whole lot of hard work, don’t worry. We’ve created an easy Rainbow Cake recipe that takes away all your baking pain and is a cinch to follow. Trust us; even novice bakers can take on a Rainbow Cake and win. Roll up your sleeves, grab your apron and prepare to get colorful!
Before You Get Started
This recipe is very forgiving, meaning you can beat the mixture, a lot, and still get great tasting cakes. This is a simple recipe, but one of many parts so be sure to read it through a couple of times before you get messy. Also, make sure you have enough bowls and cake pans to create all 6 of your beautiful layers. Other than that, dive in and enjoy making Rainbow Cake from scratch!
Rainbow Cake Recipe
• 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
• 1 ½ Cup Butter (Plus a little extra for greasing baking tins)
• 3 Large Eggs
• 1 Cup Buttermilk
• 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
• 2 tsp Baking Powder
• 1 tsp Salt
• Red, Yellow, Green and Blue Food Coloring (Gel works best)
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream
• 12 oz Cream Cheese (around 1 ½ regular packs)
• 6 Cups Powdered Sugar
• 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 165 C.
2. Grease up to 6, 9-inch cake pans and line the bases with parchment paper. You can make this cake with as little as one pan; it just requires a bit more patience and time!
3. Cream together the Sugar and Butter in a mixing bowl
4. Carefully add the Eggs, mixing well until you have a smooth consistency
5. Add in half of your Flour and combine
6. Add in the remaining Flour, Salt and Baking Powder until you have a lump-free Batter
7. Divide the mixture evenly between 6 bowls
8. Time to get creative, use your Food Coloring to make a red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple Batter, mixing colors where necessary
9. Pour each colored Batter into a tin, tap the base until smooth and bake for 10 or 15 minutes. It’s done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center
10. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely
11. While your layers cool mix the Cream Cheese, Cream, Vanilla and Powdered Sugar to make the Frosting
12. Construct your cake starting with the purple layer and adding a layer of frosting between each layer. Be sure to start with purple then blue, green, yellow, orange and finally red.
13. Add a thin layer of Frosting all around your cake and refrigerate for 20 minutes or so. Add a final thicker layer of frosting with a large flat knife for a professional finishThere you have it, how to make Rainbow Cake, the easy way. For an even simpler version try store bought frosting or cake mix to cut down time. After all, when it’s this beautiful what does it matter if we cheat just a little?